Travelers Journal :: ßry™

it's all about me and my whereabouts. thanks for visiting.

I spent my last weekend in Manila and I had the chance to stroll at the SM Mall of Asia (MoA). Thanks to my best friends Tyrone and Grace (they are my friends since Kinder, since 1987 to be exact) for agreeing to meet with me at MoA. I had a truly wonderful Sunday at MoA.

To my foreign visitors and fellow bloggers, here are bits of information about MoA so that in case you will have the chance to visit Manila, you already have one interesting place in your list.


The SM Mall of Asia is the Philippine's largest shopping complex. According to Forbes Magazine, it is the 3rd largest shopping mall in the world in terms of Gross Leasable Area, after the South Dongguan Mall (China) and Golden Resources Mall (China). It has been operating for two years now after its official opening on May 21, 2006. Mall of Asia will never fail a visiting tourist as it offers a unique shopping mall ambiance. It cannot be gainsaid that one of its best attractions is the Esplanade, where you can have a relaxing view of the Manila Bay and a nostalgic feel of the romantic sunset by the bay. Unlike any other malls in the world, MoA is situated by the bay and is separated from the usual busy city district. It is located at the famous Roxas Boulevard in Manila, Philippines and is built on 19.5 hectares of reclaimed land area. MoA's architecture is equally interesting as it drifted away from the traditional box-type designed shopping malls. There are portions of MoA where you can feel the natural lighting and air specifically at the restaurant strips, IT centre, and the Esplanade. It may not be easy for slow walkers to roam around as it houses over 600 shops and 150 restaurants. Talk about shopping, you can find both local and international items here. If you like high-end and/or branded goods, you can also find them here. Now if you find yourself hungry after more than an hour of strolling, pick a restaurant of your choice offering Filipino dishes and fusion cuisines. Parking is never an issue at MoA, over 5,000 parking slots are situated outside and inside the shopping complex. Public taxis, jeepneys and vans are also readily available. Thus, transportation is not a big problem for commuters.

Aside from the relaxing view of the Manila Bay and the romantic sunset, MoA has got a lot of other attractions to offer! First in the list is the SM Science Discovery Center. This 313 million pesos (or $7 million) Science Center is the first of its kind in the world. It has a digital planetarium which showcases a wide range of science instructional movies. The planetarium is the ultimate attraction at the SM Science Discovery Centre as it can easily convince its visitor for its being ultra high-tech and interactive. It also houses several technology and science-themed exhibits such as Life Clock, ImagePort, SMART Media City (you can play computer games here), Transportation Nation, Spaceship Earth and Robot Inc (where I've seen Astroboy, my favorite cartoon hero when I was 4).

Among the science themed exhibits, I particularly enjoyed the following:

1. Virtual Reef - a digital oceanarium. Its main attraction is Mr. T, a talking cartoon titan fish. I'm sure the voice over talent could see the visitors via camera as Mr. T can naturally talk to each visitor and respond to every question they might like to ask. You bet, I had fun with this fish as my friend cracked a series of jokes with Mr T.

2. City Science - it provides an audio-visual learning of various
skyscrapers all over the world and the whereabouts in major cities such as New York, Paris, London, and more.

If you happened to be a nature lover and would rather take advantage of the Manila Bay and the Sunset, the Ferry Service will be a nice treat for you! The cost per ride per person is approximately $2-3 only. During the Christmas Season, fireworks displays are also showcased by the bay. In fact, MoA has been chosen several times as the venue for World Pyro Olympics.

And if you are movie fan, there are several Digital movie houses at MoA one of which is the IMAX Theater which is the first of its kind in the Philippines and is one of the world's biggest IMAX screens in 3D.

Now if you feel like being sporty, try the Mall of Asia's Ice World, the Philippines first Olympic-sized ice skating rink of 61 by 30 meters. It is described as the biggest of its kind in Southeast Asia.

The SM Prime Holdings has recently celebrated its 50th Anniversary at MoA's SMX Convention Center. SMX is a 3-storey building of 46,647-square meter size and is described as the Philippines' largest privately run exhibition and convention center. It can accommodate up to 6,000 people. Soon to rise in MoA complex is a luxury hotel in partnership with the Radisson Chain of Hotels.


The SM history reveals a very rich legacy and a triumphant venture since the first SM branch. Whatever information is documented and made available to the public will never match the real-life experience and memories that only Mr Henry Sy himself can share.


(PHOTO: Me and Mr Henry Sy, owner of the SM Prime Holdings. Mr. Sy is known as Asia's mall magnate who remained among the world’s super-rich, according to Forbes magazine’s annual billionaires list. He placed 843rd with a net worth of $1.4 billion)

11 comments:

The Reluctant Dreamer said...

Lucky you! Ya know I plan on traveling a bit more this year...I seriously need to get out more...

I live in Orlando, Florida...I guess it's ok. I mean a lot of people come here to retire.

And oh yes...we have Disney World here, Universal Studios, Seaworld, etc... So...it's okay. I guess.

I'll be back later...

ßry™ said...

cool! thanks for dropping by... just wondering, so Florida has Disney and Universal Studios too like in LA?

KARL NOVAK said...

Yes, Florida has Disney, Universal and Miami Beach.
Amazing work you are doing with your blog.

I travel a lot and photography is my hobby, check my blog and let me know what you think.
http://karlnovakphotos.blogspot.com/
Good job again
K

Ash said...

I like your blogs! =) I wish I can travel more
It's Portland, Oregon here
We have the music and the great scenery (waterfalls, mountains, hiking trails, greenery)
oh yes, and six months of rain in the wintertime =P
Spring and summer rocks though!
I'll will definitely read more of your blogs. Check out my site if you can, http://milacross.blogspot.com

-Mila

B Singh said...

thanks for leaving a comment (sadly, i accidently deleted it!). really nice blog, you've got here!

joie de vivre said...

wow!
i really wish to go and hang out at such places..
but rite now i cant.>>

The Cool Commentator said...

hi there! great blog! good luck in the competition!!

come over to my blog and have a look, you might just like it! :D

Astro Galaxy said...

Hello Bry,
Thanks for dropping by my blog and leave great comment.
I like your writtings on your post!
I'll sure be back often.
Happy travelling!

Khalid said...

It's a great experience to travel and see new things, meet new people. I've only been to a few countries myself; all of which share a border or two with one another.
But I hope someday to see all the places that I see on TV.

Happy travelling...

nituscorner said...

I got interested in your blog as i love to travel too.The pics were all great.

maria rebecca said...

hello..i'm just a new blogger..
nice and interesting blog i'm from philipines as well..
many structures will rise years from now along moa..
have a good day.
:)