Travelers Journal :: ßry™

it's all about me and my whereabouts. thanks for visiting.

Now you might find the title of this post as something odd. I got the same reaction when my friends in Bangkok thought of dining in at Cabbages and Condoms Restaurant which I never thought to exist in Bangkok metropolis. Since I find this place quite interesting not only for its name but also for its theme, I decided to write about it for my blog.


Jay and Raquel, swaggering. Who let these creatures out?!



According to its history posted at the entrance lobby, Cabbages and Condoms (C&C) Restaurant was established by the Population and Community Development Association (PDA) of Thailand to increase awareness on HIV/AIDS and to promote better understanding of family planning. I should agree to their claim that the restaurant has attracted international attention. Almost 90% of the guests were foreigners (that includes us obviously). The ambiance is good. At the main lobby, diners will be welcomed with family planning and HIV/AIDS-themed displays. Thai mannequins (dressmaker's dummy) wearing clothes made up of real condoms and oral contraceptives are the first attractions. There is also a Santa Claus-themed mannequin. They serve authentic Thai dishes and delicacies at a not-so-expensive price. Diners may choose between outdoor and air-conditioned areas to dine in. The food is also good. They also sell Thai handicrafts and C&C souvenirs. All proceeds from the restaurant are used to fund the social development programs of PDA. So that's a real dining experience for a cause!


Antti and Twinkle, soon to wed couple this July.

Now let me close this post with the following humorous and witty quotable quotes I read while at C&C:

  • "Our food is guaranteed not to cause pregnancy"
  • "Sorry we have no mints, take a condom instead"

  • "Stop Global Warming, use condoms"



Cabbages and Condoms (C&C) Restaurant is located at Sukhumvit Soi 12, Bangkok. (200 m from the main sukhumvit road)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is great! I loved this post and will definitely pass it along to some people. I love the title of the restuarant!

ßry™ said...

Thanks, Carol!

yeah, quite interesting isn't it?

Sara said...

I had read about that restaurant in a travel book I bought before going to Thailand...we never ended up getting there though...!