Travelers Journal :: ßry™

it's all about me and my whereabouts. thanks for visiting.

A DELAYED BLOG POST


September 2007 - Kuala Lumpur or KL is the capital and largest city in Malaysia. It is the home to the Petronas Twin Towers, Malaysia's icon of economic prosperity and socio-cultural idealism. My stay in KL may have been quick (an overnight stay that was) but I made the most out of my free time to stroll around!


First destination? The Kuala Lumpur Bird Park or Taman Burung Kuala Lumpur. This park is a 7 to 16 hectares of enclosed aviary housing more than 50 species of birds, of which 90% are local breeds. Aside from having the opportunity to witness colorful birds in their natural habitat, a bird show presenting huge species of colorful parrots was quite fun. I felt like I was a kid again being immersed in an audience of grade school students (Haha!).


Just like in any country I've been to, the China Town or Chee Cheong Kai in the street of Petaling in KL offers a good shopping experience. You'll find Chinese herbs, handicrafts, textiles or just any item a trader could sell particularly those from China.

Next to China Town and Jalan Bandar is the Sri Mahamariamman Temple, the oldest Hindu temple in KL. It was my first time to enter a Hindu temple and I must say that it was indeed a worthwhile experience. I was amazed at the wall decorations that depict the Hindu belief - a reality check that we are indeed living in a truly diversed world.



After a quick rest at the hotel, my next destination was the Menara KL Tower. Being the fifth tallest telecommunication tower in the world, KL Tower provides a 360 degrees arial view of the city. Just to share with you, although I couldn't remember where I exactly read this, the KL Tower has customarily been a place for marriage proposals. Not sure though if every proposals made here were successful.


As they say, your KL trip will not be complete without seeing the gigantic Petronas Twin Towers, the world's tallest twin buildings. According to Wikipedia, Tower 1 was built by Hazama Corporation and Tower 2 by Samsung Engineering & Construction. They were the world's tallest buildings from 1998 to 2004. At day time, the spectators will definitely be astounded by the architecture of the Petronas particularly its detailed steel linings and humongous steel bars. Wait until the evening breaks, the Petronas seems to be the main source of light of the entire city. The twin towers resemble like two strong beams of light coming directly from the grounds of KL. I was astonished at the beauty of the Twin Tower as I looked up at the sky from the hotel entrance. I couldn't wait for the morning to come, a chance for me to enter the Towers and go up to the bridge connecting Towers 1 and 2. The Petronas Towers is definitely a must see for everyone!

Just before my departure from KL, I had a chance to visit Batu Cave which is approximately 20-30 minutes drive from KLCC. Of all the tourist spots I visited in KL, I must say that this is the best for the reason that I appreciate to witness other religious beliefs. At the ground level, you will be welcomed by a gigantic statue of a Hindu deity. As you start your 272 stair-trekking to reach the caves, you will be entertained by monkeys who would play around with visitors. It might be good to bring some bananas and feed them if you are fond of monkeys. =) At the far top cave, there is a small Hindu temple which a lot of devotees consider as extremely sacred. To reach the caves is quite a tiring activity but I think all my energy spent paid off.



TRAVEL TIPS: The KL International Airports are located one hour drive away from the downtown. Shuttle bus and airport taxis are readily available. Shuttle bus would cost 10 Malaysian Ringgit per person from the airport to the Central Station in KL city. To enable access to the Petronas Towers you need to get a ticket (free of charge) from the Petronas Office as early as 7:30 a.m. You need to be quick on this as tickets usually ran out fast.

2 comments:

Tessa Rose said...

Hey, I really like your blog! Traveling is one of my biggest passions... I haven't spent much time in Asia before (just a few weeks in China) but I enjoyed reading about your travels.

ßry™ said...

Thanks for visiting and for your comments! come back always...